Monday, November 21, 2016

"It's a String Thing" # 170 Tiles

Happy Monday!

My head and heart are both still spinning from an absolutely magical time at zenAgain in Newport, Rhode Island.  In the good company of over 225 other CZTs from around the world, guided by Rick and Maria themselves, new products, new tangles...Oh what tangled bliss!

Pictures and details to follow, but for now we have some catching up to do.

Here are the incredible tiles for IAST #170 ~

The first arrived from Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
I love working with leaves (or any patterns that are leaf-ish) so I particularly enjoyed this week's challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*large sparkled center of Oke
*shaded points of Jelly Legs


A very warm welcome AmberRainDavis (California) whose Jelly Legs pattern we are using this week.   How exciting is that?!
I'm new to your challenge and this is my first submission. Jody Genovese let me know that my jelly legs pattern was featured this week...
I enjoyed participating in my first challenge. Thanks so much for featuring my pattern!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*waterfall of Jelly Legs 'S' curve lines
*C curve detail lines in Oke
Amber's pin and name are added to our map :)


From Joan Delony, CZT (Florida) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*Jelly Legs filled Oke
*shaded overlaps and borderlines


From Julie (North Carolina) ~
Hello! Missed last week but enjoyed this week. I really LOVE your map..it's gorgeous, and a great idea! You are so talented.
A big Thank you to all the veterans out there.
www.greenlightavet.com.....I have my green light glowing!Thank you

Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Julie.
*aura and dot details for Jelly Legs
*dots repeat in Oke



From Lisa Preston (Georgia) ~
From late to early. Finding myself with a bit of extra time this week. :) I enjoyed both tangles very much!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Jelly Legs varies in size, shaded on one side
*weighted outlines of Oke


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
I did this yesterday and I can attest to zentangling 's calming effects. I love all the variations of Oke and plan to use it a lot.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*doubled lines, perfs, detail lines, and shading for Oke
*Jelly Legs tipped in curls



From Ilse (The Netherlands) and here on her blog -
Thank you, Adele, for this lovely simplicity theme :-)

Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded aura
*Jelly Legs and Oke intertwine



From Juul (France) ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*fanciful lines fill Oke
*wonderful aura


From Amy Barnickel (Florida) ~
...I can't believe it's November already and we're heading into holiday season. This made me think of Christmas and poinsettias.

Tangled Tidbits -
*perf lined Jelly Legs
*deep shading and black spaces make Oke leaves pop


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
I was excited to see Jelly Legs as one of your featured tangles. I am very active on the Zentangle Mosaic app and Amber Davis is one of the ladies in my ‘circle of friends’. I sent her a note to let her know she was featured and she was very excited. I believe she even sent you her first tile!
Both of these tangles were firsts for me again..love that. I and I really liked drawing them both.
(Jody and I got to meet each other at zenAgain!)
Tangled Tidbits -
*wispy detail lines of layered Oke
*doubled Jelly Legs along the string line


From Lily Moon (Hungary) ~
Dear Adele, here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*shadowed Oke
*weighted lines and Jelly Legs veins of Oke



From Karen (Canberra, Australia) ~
Here’s my tile for this week. Jelly Legs looks like being a useful tangle to know.
Tangled Tidbits -
*curls repeat in Oke and in aura
*shaded Oke centers and veins


From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Here comes my entry for no 170. Those Jelly Legs are fun and easy to draw. Thank´s for a nice challenge. I like the simplicity of the string you made for us.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Jelly Legs border and lager ones along the string lines
*striped and sparkled centers of Oke and lovely aura



From Kate Ahrens, CZT (Minnesota) and here on her blog ~
I had some extra time this week and decided to tackle your challenge. I had fun using these two tangles together, and making my tile. I needed a bit of me time, and this just fit the bill. I seem to be in a fall type of mood, and the weather here in Minnesota has been great so far, so I just added a bit of pastel in fall colors, to my Oke. Even though I don't always tackle your challenge, I always stop by to look at all the wonderful work.
Tangled Tidbits -
*fine aura with an added bit of sparkle and shading
*Jelly Legs centers of Oke



From Lin H (Florida) ~
My tile this week is definitely clean and simple. I love the tangle Oke but I got a little Jelly Legs in there, too. Thanks, as always, for your challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Jelly Legs in Oke center veins
*green shading and gem center


From Simone Menzel, CZT (Dresden, Germany) and here on her blog ~
First, I must admit something:
This week`s theme of the IAST challenge is "simplicity", I read it only after finishing my tile.... too late BUT: I used the very simple string...
The two beautiful tangles which I did not use before : "Oke" by Michele Beauchamp and "Jelly Legs" by Amber Davis
I had a lot of fun with them. Thank you, Adele, and sorry, if you miss the simplicity ;-))

Tangled Tidbits -
Yes, it is simply beautiful :)
*aura in Jelly Legs
*layering in Hollibaugh fashion of the tangles



From Gaby Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
...first of all congratulations on you wonderful map, not only it looks amazing, but also it filled my heart with joy to see the huge community of tanglers all over the world brought all together meditating, relaxing and filling our lives with a little bit of joy and peace with your challenges. A deep deep thank you Adele for all the work you do for us week after week with the challenge and your other blog posts..And it felt so good to be able to see my name in the map ;-)
Finally, here is my entry for this challenge, It was an easy one as I found both tangles very beautiful and relaxing.
Cheers from Canada
Tangled Tidbits -
You are very welcome, thank you, too.
*Jelly Roll along two border lines, tipped with curls
*sparkled curls and perfs in Oke



From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Thank you Adele, for this new challenge. As I fount my tile kind of "bold" without background I simply had to add Indy Rella.
Oke and Jelly Leg were new to me.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Jelly Legs flow from Oke's center
*bold shading accents Jelly Legs


From Jutta Gladnigg (Germany) ~
This was once again a wonderful challenge... Thank you so much, Adele, for your ingenious selection of string and suitable patterns❣️In this tile I tried to connect the two patterns into one ... And the background is dedicated to you and your history of 170(!!!) challenges in sequence. If you count the single panes in this stairway of lighted windows to the world you will count 170... And this is what you and your challenges and your marvellous blog do - connect people from all over the world ! Your latest idea to create a map is so great and the outcome breathtaking! Thank you for that! It's such an honour for each of us to be included. What you did is so, so special...❣️
Tangled Tidbits -
That is incredible!  Thank you, Jutta.
*Jelly Legs lines create the leaves of Oke
*shading add wonderful depth



From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
A complimentary pair of tangles for this week's prompt. And simplicity was the perfect theme for such a rocky week in US history. Honestly, if the prompt had been more complicated, I don't think I would have had the mental energy for it.
I encircled my tile with a quote from Hillary Clinton's final speech ... political, yet seasonal and hopeful. It calls to the community minded ... and reminds me of the alliances we have when we visit your blog each week. "Let us have faith in each other. Let us not grow weary. Let is not lose heart, for there are more seasons to come, and there is more work to do."Cheers to all who stand strong to create a positive change in our world.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Jelly Legs covered string lines
*Oke flows from Jelly Legs
(Nice frame :)



From Talia Maynard (London, United kingdom) ~
I haven't had much free time for tangling recently but a challenge featuring the words 'Jelly Legs' was just too tempting!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Oke veins follow the string lines and vary in size
*wispy Jelly Legs with free floating 'beans'



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
I lost last week! Have so much going on completely missed IAST and Diva. A little late but I finally got to do some tangling this week. Two more Tangles I had never used thanks so much for expanding my repertoire :)

Tangled Tidbits - 
*variety of sizes and concentrations of Oke
*Jelly Legs string line



A very warm welcome to Martina (Austria) ~ 
Hi Adele, Hi everybody!
I am admire since some weeks to this nice creations of all of you.
This is my first try to fulfill the weekly challenge and hope to be able to participate more often.
Thanks Adele for this great blog!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*vine line Oke springs from Jelly Legs
*shading give Jelly Legs weight

This is really exciting because Martina is the first participant from Austria.  Now we have a flag, a pin, and her name added to the map ~


From sra (India) ~
Here's my entry for IAST this week!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Jelly Legs border
*Oke shaded inside and outside adds depth



From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
This is the first time I used either of these tangles. I don't know if I'll ever use them again, but trying something new is a part of the learning process.
Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted lines distinguish Oke
*Jelly Legs flows from one curl tipped point


From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) ~
The last weeks were so full of work and other projects that I couldn't take part in your challenge.
But this saturday evening I found the time for it and I am so glad about it.
The tangles Oke and Jelly Legs were both new to me but I immediately had an idea what to do with it. I drew what I thought but than added more and more details to the tile and at the end it was so chaotic and absolutely not simple. I was not satisfied with it and that's why I began another tile and drew the tangles in their pure and original version and only one big instead of three Okes. And I thought this tile is perfectly in the sense of this week's theme "Simplicity".
I send you both tiles so you can see what I mean.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*perf filled Oak veins
*aura of Jelly Legs arcs
*shaded string line
*Jelly Legs curves along the border
*weighted lines


From Pam (Heidelberg, Germany) ~
Oh, I needed the peace today...to get away from my social media and try some new tangles. Didn't care for my first effort, kept looking and tweaking all day, finally gave it another go this evening. Saw "Eaxy" on Tangle Patterns earlier this week and enjoyed figuring it out and incorporating it on this tile.

 Tangled Tidbits -
*an acorn for Oke
*large orb of Jelly Legs



From Aloyna Pakhomova (Toronto, Canada) ~
I am sorry to skip your last couple challenges and glad to be back. I am sending tiles (my son and mine) for the last challenge...
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Oke arua lines tipped to mirror Oke
*two variations of Oke
*detail lines change direction in each string section
*rounded Oke stands out on square grid


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I absolutely adore the way Michele Beauchamp draws! But I can't draw like she does, so I experimented with simplifying Oke. Plus I wanted a grid, so Oke morphed into kind of a version of Fife.
Jelly Legs on the Tanglepatterns page looks to me like seaweed, but when I was drawing it it kept reminding me of summer hats, so finally I just let it be summer hats.
Again I'm in my comfort zone of a regular grid with a string in front (rather than morphing the grid tangle to fit a wonky shape). But then, is being comfortable so terribly wrong?
Thanks for all you do for us!

Tangled Tidbits -
Being comfortable is terribly good!
*Jelly Leg bonnets complete with sparkle
*grid based Oke - fabulous



From Michele Wynne (California) and here on her blog ~
Taking it down to the wire. Again;-P Thank you for creating such a simple and pleasurable challenge this week. I've been quite scattered and really needed simple. I was happy to see such simpatico patterns that seemed quite at home within this string. I enjoy Oke and don't use it often enough and Jellylegs caught my eye as soon as it popped up on my blog roll recently.
I still had a couple of orange and black tiles I'd created for various October challenges and it seemed like a good fit here. I really enjoyed doing this.
Tangled Tidbits -
*dots and perfs and and highlights galore
*weighted lines and shading add depth



From Vicki Mitchell, CZT (Moscow, Idaho) ~
Here is my tile for this week's challenge. It was interesting because I haven't used Oke at all since I copied down the step-out. Thank goodness Jelly Legs is easy since it's so new. Fitting both to the string while listening to the election returns was not easy. I'm still in shock, and it's a good thing I didn't check my local returns until just now. (It's not that I expect to control the government, but I would like a voice at the table. Ugh, Idaho.)
Tangled Tidbits -
*layers of Jelly Legs
*each string section uniquely filled



From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to challenge no. 170.
Both patterns were new to me and I enjoyed tangling them very much.
Greetings from Germany!

Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded inner sections of Jelly Legs
*large Oke features weighted lines, shading



From Jennifer (Switzerland) ~
I loved learning these two tangles - the result is very bountiful! Perfect for an acorn harvest.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Jelly Legs border lines end in multiple curls
*aura and black background emphasize the pretty Oke



From Patricia (Switzerland) ~
Thank you for sharing your beautiful and inspiring Fractal trees tile..I love it!I also thank Michele Beauchamp for the tangle OKE and Amber Davis for Jelly Legs.Two tangles which are fun and intriguing..
Tangled Tidbits -
*elongated Jelly Legs
*two variations of Oke, complete with aura and shading



From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
My tile. Nothing to write home about, but I enjoyed the experience. The wind is blowing and blowing....
Tangled Tidbits -
*single sections of Jelly Legs
*Oke with aura and weighted lines


From Danita (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I so enjoy doing your tangles but frequently miss the deadline to send them in!... Thank you again for all the way time and effort you put into this weekly challenge!
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, so glad you joined in.
*Oke leaves overlap and add dimension
*perfs and dots, shading and weighted lines


From Adri van Wyk (South Africa) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*delightful details - Tipple, aura, line weight variation, sparkle, shading
*multiple sizes of Oke


And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Felicity Strohfeldt  from South Africa and here on her blog ~
...Great challenge. I love Oke by Michelle Beauchamp lovely versatile pattern. Jelly legs by amber Davis, a bit of a challenge with, where will it fit in. Then I remembered, I grew up in Paarl, a town near Stellenbosch and both towns have proud old oak avenues down their main streets. In Spring in South Africa the oaks put on their green, shady jackets for the Summer and they “flower”; strange tendrils of miniscule, non-descript brown flowers, from this the acorns appear as if by magic. So, Jelly legs made me think of these tiny tendrils of flowers that produce shiny, nut-brown acorns. For the rest, I had a blast with the “leaves” and even manage to use a micron brush to accentuated the edges. Auras were a must. I was tempted to put a gem in the centre of the design, but I resisted and kept to a black and white drawing and enjoyed adding the shading.
Have a great week, everyone.

 Tangled Tidbits -
*thick outer Oke lines, shaded and aura-ed
*aura and Oke lines end in multiple loops (bottom left)
*sparkled and striped Oke veins
*sparkled Jelly Legs centers
*Printemps repeats in Oak leaves and center
*shading adds wonderful dimension to the tangles and spaces



Congratulations Felicity!

I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.

A huge thank you to all of the contributors to this week's challenge.
Please know that I appreciate and treasure your kindnesses and encouragements as well. 

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles we used this week along with my string:

Oke by Michele Beauchamp, CZT

Jelly Legs by Amber Davis (soon-to-be CZT)


Check back later this evening (or morning in some parts of this wonderful world) for the results of IAST #171.

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #172
!

















2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the round-up! - Sra

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! I wish I would make the time to actually send in the tiles I make for each of your challenges, but for some reason I seem to miss it each time!

    ReplyDelete